Re: table.el

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 07:51:10 -0800 (PST)

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 14:56:54 +0100: address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Tak Ota <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > BTW, what is "lexical binding"?  It concerns me.  Does it change the
> > fundamental rule in emacs lisp programming by obsoleting the dynamic
> > binding?
>
> Well, an implementation of lexical binding could stipulate that
> variables defined with defvar (and friends) are always bound
> dynamically.
>
> So you can still do
>
>     (let ((case-fold-search nil))
>       ..some.code.here..)
>
> But for the variables _not_ defined via defvar, the binding would be
> lexical.  So for example:
>
>     (let ((x 1))
>       (some-func))
>
> With the current `let', x would be bound to 1 while some-func is
> executing.  With lexical binding, x would be unbound in the body of
> some-func.  (This assumes that x is not defined with defvar,
> naturally.)

Thanks for the explanation with good examples.  I completely
understand what "lexical binding" is now.  Once this is implemented
the next section has to be re-written as a historical event.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html#SEC17

It is a bit pity for me because I like this unique characteristic of
Lisp.  No other language I usually deal with provides this capability.

-Tak