Re: Emacs and GTK.

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: Emacs and GTK.
Date: 02 Dec 2001 19:37:02 -0500

>     > I wrote an app that has several Xt interfaces, plus a GTK/Gnome
>     > interface, and it doesn't use the gtk event loop.  It's a little
>     > stale now, so I don't know if it compiles with the latest goodies,
>     > but it might be worth a look.
>     >
>     > http://gnutalk.sf.net
>
>     The problem with this is that it will not (likely) work with GTK 2.0 when
>     it is released,
>
> Why not?  Perhaps this is something I will need to better talk with the
> GTK developers about--but first I need to understand it myself.

In GTK 2.0, the GDK layer has undergone a pretty thorough rewrite to better
support other window systems.  All the MS-Windows, BeOS, MacOS,
frame-buffer, and X-Windows drawing code is isolated in GDK and it has
been made much harder to get at the underlying window-system objects (like
a `Display *' or a 'Window' from the GTK objects.

Part of the reason I asked a while ago whether it would be worthwhile to
maintain the X & Win32 versions is that it could simplify the code quite a
bit to just say 'we draw using GDK' instead of making w32term.c try to look
like an X API layer (it currently provides things like XChangeGC,
XCreateGC, etc).  But that is a large decision to make.

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam