Re: Fringe frame parameters, default values

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Fringe frame parameters, default values
Date: 03 Dec 2001 02:47:16 +0100

>     Sorry for the confusion!  I have updated the NEWS entry to explain
>     that using nil for the fringe width is the default.
>
> That makes the new feature consistent within itself, but it is not
> consistent with the way other frame parameters work.  It would be
> better if the value were always a number, like all the other frame
> parameters that control the size of something.

I don't mind changing `frame-parameters' to return the actual
values for the left and right fringe widths.

However, I still want to store the configured values (specifically the
nil value) in the frame's param_alist. Otherwise, we will lose the
automatic recalculation of the fringe widths in case the default font
is changed.

So the configured values (stored in param_alist) and the actual values
(returned by frame-parameters) will differ - and there will be no way
for the user to see the configured values.

Is that ok, i.e. in accordance with the way other frame parameters work?