Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Customize and autoloaded libraries
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:17:33 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> What if custom just supported a `:merge-function' (or something)
> argument in `defcustom', which would let the declaring file deal with
> merging when desired?  I suspect that most such merging is somewhat
> domain-specific anyway.

That is a small part of design.  You also need to consider the UI if
the user customize such an option, and what to save if the user save
the option.  Also, do you want to solve all three problems, large
initial values, fragile initial values, and changes made outside
customize?  And how do these interact?

I'm too stupid to come up with a design and implementation for this,
but if you come up with a design I'll try to poke holes in it.