Re: Emacs and GTK.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Emacs and GTK.
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:10:23 +0100 (CET)

> >     In GTK 2.0, the GDK layer has undergone a pretty thorough rewrite to
> >     better support other window systems.  All the MS-Windows, BeOS,
> >     MacOS, frame-buffer, and X-Windows drawing code is isolated in GDK
> >     and it has been made much harder to get at the underlying
> >     window-system objects (like a `Display *' or a 'Window' from the GTK
> >     objects.
> >
> > Is it annoying but doable, or impossible?
>
> Annoying, but doable and unclean.  I would prefer not to see time spent on
> an implementation like that when a native GTK port would not be much more
> difficult (20%?).  But I'll still help as much as I can, whichever way
> people want to do it.

It is probably the way to go.  I hope some things that are done in X now
will be simpler, because GTK does more for you than Xlib.

But scrollbars looks hairy.  I haven't made my mind up to do that first
or last :-).

> If we do a native GTK port, then you could theoretically run Emacs on a
> linux tty and get all the graphical goodness, which would be very cool. :)

That sounds cool indeed.  I haven't looked at GTK 2.0 at all.  The
priority is to get GTK 1.2 integrated.  Guile-gtk and other things
must wait until later.

        Jan D.