Re: Fringe frame parameters, default values

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Fringe frame parameters, default values
Date: 05 Dec 2001 01:24:53 +0100

>     So the configured values (stored in param_alist) and the actual values
>     (returned by frame-parameters) will differ - and there will be no way
>     for the user to see the configured values.
>
> That discrepancy would indeed be a bad thing.  What this says
> is that some more fundamental cleanup is needed.
>
>     Otherwise, we will lose the
>     automatic recalculation of the fringe widths in case the default font
>     is changed.
>
> I think the right solution is that the widths should be specified as
> ratios to the "column width", not as numbers of pixels.  This would
> fit all the constraints in a clean way.  It would also make for
> more consistency, since most of the frame parameters for sizes
> are specified in columns or lines, not in pixels.

I don't really see how this is better!

The default would be left = 1.0 and right = 1.0

However, if I specify the fringe widths as left = 0.5 and right = 1.0,
then I will still have to adjust the fringe widths so that they occupy
an intergral number of frames, i.e. that actual widths ratios would be
0.75 and 1.25 -- so it is still not possible to see what the configured
values are!

I think the current functionality gives the greatest flexibility with
regard to adding customization of the fringe bitmaps later on.
And it really isn't critical to know what the configured fringe widths
are - as a user (package) can always set both to be sure!

I suggest keeping the current implementation, but fix frame-parameters
to return the actual fringe widths.  Then go on to other tasks...

++kfs