Re: Merging x*, w32* and mac* sources (was Re: table.el)

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: Merging x*, w32* and mac* sources (was Re: table.el)
Date: 05 Dec 2001 20:50:50 -0500

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > I don't see why we cannot combine all of these methods to achieve as much
> > code sharing as possible (and desireable).
> >
> > 1) Try to emulate X* functions directly whenever that is possible,
> >
> > 2) put a small wrapper around the X* functions (e.g. supplying additional
> >    arguments) if that makes it possible to emulate the "wrapped" function,
>
> One possible way to decide between these could be to look at what GTK
> does. If a GTK port would do it differently than current X code, use a
> higher level of abstraction (2), if GTK would use the X functions (or
> something virtually identical), then macros/functions that emulate the X
> function are probably feasible for all platforms.

Well, all of this abstraction work has already been done, and fairly
well.  Either GTK or Qt gives you exactly this level of abstraction, and
we would not have to rewrite it and maintain it ourselves.

The GTK API is not the greatest in the world, but it is much cleaner than
trying to emulate X on windows and mac and...

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam