Re: Emacs and GTK.

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: Emacs and GTK.
Date: 05 Dec 2001 21:03:54 -0500

>     It's also been suggested there that GTK could be used for all or part
>     of the UI, to replace the completely custom code Emacs has now -- or,
>     conversely, to make functionality available in Emacs available
>     elsewhere as well.
>
> It sounds like this would mean that Emacs would *only* be able to use
> GTK.  We want to continue support for other toolkits.

If we want to continue supporting the other toolkits, I think the only
viable option is making the current x/windows/macos code much more abstract
and hidden behind a fairly well-defined and generic interface (the "Merging
x*, w32* and mac* sources" thread).  Then GTK could just be another 'port'
like the w32 code.

And maybe eventually we could drop support for the others, a few versions
down the road.

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam