Re: New mh-e toolbar icons

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New mh-e toolbar icons
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:45:01 -0700 (MST)

     Maybe
    it is better to put them in etc/images instead of /images, so there
    is no need to introduce yet another EMACS...PATH environment
    variable.

This would certainly simplify the job of making the change.
No need to modify installation, or arrange to figure out where
the directory is, etc.

I just realized that we must continue to search for images through
load-path, in the directories that contain Lisp code, for the sake of
Lisp packages installed in places outside of Emacs itself.

We could still move the images that are part of the Emacs
distro into a new etc/images directory.  Or we could keep that
images directory under lisp: lisp/images.  If we do that,
I think we should arrange to prevent the subdirs of lisp/images
from getting included in load-path.  It would be inefficient
and unnecessary to include them.