auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: auto-saving and jka-compr-write-region
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:47:26 +0100

In fileio.c, function auto_save_1, I see that `write-region' is called
with nil for START and END.  But if the filename handler for that file
(the autosave file) is jka-compr, then jka-compr-write-region barfs
because it assumes the values to be numbers, not nil.

Is it dangerous to use a *.gz file as an autosave file, or should
this work?

Should jka-compr-write-region grok START and END being nil?  If so,
how should that be achieved?

This comes about because Tramp arranges to set the auto-save file name
for a buffer to be a filename with *.gz, if the filename of the buffer
was *.gz.  Maybe Tramp shouldn't do this, but I get the feeling it
ought to work.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)