Re: Lexical binding -- do we really need it?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Lexical binding -- do we really need it?
Date: 08 Dec 2001 00:59:04 +0900

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> > [Though, as I noted before, closures can be had without lexical
> > binding -- in a deep-binding implementation, for instance (aka
> > spaghetti stacks).]
>
> But that would also change the semantics of let binding
> and hence introduce incompatibilities,

Of course, it was just an off-hand comment; I wasn't suggesting that we
change to deep-binding!

[indeed, the current implementation of dynamic binding in elisp seems
to fit very well with the extra-flexible sort of variables that emacs
uses...]

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.