Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:01:57 -0700 (MST)

     - We need to think about some machinery to take care of too-long
       translated strings which overflow fixed resources.  For example,
       the menu bar has to fit into a fixed-width field.

I don't understand this problem.  Can't we just say that people
who write these translations have to be careful about the length?

Note that there is no fixed buffer for menu bar names that could be
overrun.  There is just a limit on how much text can be effectively
displayed in the menu bar.  So it is no disaster, just an annoyance,
if something is "too long".

     - For that matter, will every one of the *.el files in the standard
       distribution have its own catalog,

That could be a good idea.  We might be able to set up automatic recording
of which catalog to use for a string constant, this way.