Re: Lexical binding -- do we really need it?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Lexical binding -- do we really need it?
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:02:26 -0700 (MST)

    _I_ want it because I want to be able to use let-binding freely, without
    the overhead of dynamic binding (it's not horribly large, but it does
    exist, and for code that must be very fast, it can make a difference).

If it is just a matter of efficiency, then the question is,
how much more efficient does it make Emacs Lisp to do this?
Have you measured it?

    It also gives the compiler greater latitude to do optimizations that are
    currently impossible because a binding _might_ escape (even though every
    human programmer knows it won't, or at least shouldn't).

I don't think it is worth while working on optimization in the Emacs
Lisp compiler.  It could be an unlimited time sink, drawing effort
away from features that benefit the user into something users will
hardly notice.