Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 11:25:25 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

>      - We need to think about some machinery to take care of too-long
>        translated strings which overflow fixed resources.  For example,
>        the menu bar has to fit into a fixed-width field.
>
> I don't understand this problem.  Can't we just say that people
> who write these translations have to be careful about the length?

Each translation could be written by a different person, and their
combination might not be predictable in advance.  For example, there's
no reasonable way you could try all possible mixes of major and minor
modes that put items into the menu bar.  Some of the combinations might
be okay with English names of menu items, but not in German, say.