Re: insert-string and Emacs Lisp

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: insert-string and Emacs Lisp
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 16:52:49 +0100

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:18:30 -0700 (MST)

   >        - mlsupport.el and mlconvert.el files are moved to obsolete/.
   >
   > Given the absence of the ML support at C level, I don't
   > think mlconvert.el does any good.  Maybe we should simply
   > eliminate that.

Yes, mlconvert.el is useless and I will remove it completely.

   > Maybe we should delete all the ml-... functions from mlsupport.el
   > instead of mark them obsolete.  If people try to use it from converted
   > Mocklisp code, it won't actually run anyway.  The only thing that
   > might work is to use some of the non ml-... functions, which might
   > have been called from Emacs Lisp code.

I do not think it is worth the work. First, we are removing mocklisp in the
head only (when do you expect the release from it?). I have just checked
all elisp packages I use on my system and there is no one which uses any
mocklisp functions now. The only exception is/was insert-string which will
be moved into subr.el and marked obsolete (all packages are now rewritten
to use insert anyway).
--
Pavel Janík

Pah! Benchmarks, smenchmarks! Give us your bogomips-rating, that's
the only thing that counts :-)
                  -- David Weinehall in linux-kernel