Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:01:05 -0700 (MST)

      I tried this
      approach in a small experiment with GNU tar's copyright notices, and
      it didn't work well: some translators translated the copyright
      notices even though they were asked to keep them in English.

We could put something somewhere to remind people not to enter translations
for those strings.  But note that most of them are in comments, not
string constants.  There are just a few strings in startup.el which
should not be translated for this reason.  Maybe we could mark them
specifically for non-translation.