Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:01:24 -0700 (MST)

    > Why should it matter to translators what encoding to use for the
    > translated strings?  If Emacs can display the text to the user, they
    > shouldn't mind, I think.

    This assumes that only Emacs is used to edit translation files.  I'd
    rather not make that assumption.

To make that assumption in general, for all GNU programs' translation
files, might be undesirable, but to make it for Emacs's translation
files seems acceptable to me.  Why would an Emacs user want to edit
them with anything else?

What exactly is iconv, and how does it relate to gettext?