Re: Abbrevs changed mysteriously

From: Michael Kifer
Subject: Re: Abbrevs changed mysteriously
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 00:35:31 -0500

> I tried your recipe and it did not fail for me!
>
> Can you try evaluating abbrevs-changed at various points?

see below

> Do you have a .abbrev-defs file too?  If so, Emacs would
> be reading that as well; I had better find out what is in it.

no, I don't.

Here is what happened to abbrevs-changed:

Before (quietly-read-abbrev-file "~/bbb") in .emacs:
    abbrevs-changed=nil
During reading ~/bbb, before
       (define-abbrev-table 'lisp-mode-abbrev-table
         '( ("sss"     "(sit-for 2)"        nil 0) ))
    abbrevs-changed=nil
After define-abbrev-table:
    abbrevs-changed=t
After quietly-read-abbrev-file in .emacs:
     abbrevs-changed=nil
again.
But when emacs is ready to accept commands, abbrevs-changed=t again.
There is no indication in *Messages* that something else was loaded.
This is how *Messages* looks like:
before nil
before2 nil
after2 t
after nil
For information about the GNU...

So, abbrev-defs is chenged by something after .emacs is loaded.
To remind the recipe, .emacs should be

    (quietly-read-abbrev-file "~/bbb")

and bbb should be

    (define-abbrev-table 'lisp-mode-abbrev-table
      '( ("sss"     "qqq"        nil 0) ))

Start emacs as

    emacs

and then M-x save-some-buffers. You then should be offered to save
~/.abbrev-defs

mk