Re: Emacs + LessTif serious scroll judder when point-max is visib le

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs + LessTif serious scroll judder when point-max is visib le
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:27:07 -0500

> I find it better, and more reliable---without the patch using the
> scrollbar I can regularly only scroll as far as to show the last n lines
> of the buffer, where n varies from attempt to attempt.  With the patch,
> I can always scroll down so that point = point-max = window-start.
> Also, mouse-2 seems more reliable---without the patch sometimes mouse-2
> in the scrollbar doesn't move point to where I would expect it to.
>
> What don't you like about it Stefan?  That the scrollbar is always the
> same size?  It doesn't bother me.

No, the size doesn't both me (actually, when I use outline-minor-mode,
I find it rather convenient that the size stays the same).  What
I don't like about it is that the position of the scrollbar for
small buffers gives me the impression that I'm barely at the middle
of the buffer even though I'm actually almost at the end already.
Often, the thumb is still around the middle of its course when
point-max is already displayed.

Maybe I should just install it and see if people start screaming ?

        Stefan