Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:12:49 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Paul Eggert wrote:

> translator teams have already chosen encodings, which they use for
> lots of other GNU applications.  These choices are often the result of
> a delicate balance of technical and political considerations.  If GNU
> Emacs is a special case, it will cause confusion among the translation
> teams.

I Think Emacs _is_ a special case, because it supports several languages
at the same time, and because of other factors.

> I suppose Emacs could use iconv's
> translation capabilities if available, instead of redoing the
> translation itself

If iconv doesn't support the internal representation of characters used
by Emacs (known as `emacs-mule'), I don't think it's a good idea to use
iconv.  GNU libiconv used to support emacs-mule, but I don't know how
up-to-date that support is (Emacs 21 added a few new character sets to
the internal representation).