Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: 11 Dec 2001 17:45:24 +0000

 > I suppose Emacs could use iconv's
 > translation capabilities if available, instead of redoing the
 > translation itself; this would probably speed up Emacs considerably,
 > at least on some platforms.

Is there evidence that the current approach is significantly slow in
most cases?  [I've developed m17n code in non-trivial-sized files on a
48MB P100.]  Note that the charset conversion per se isn't the whole
job (even the most difficult part of it) for the scripts which require
composition.

 > However, this would take some hacking.

Apart from emacs-mule, does iconv support all of Emacs's CJK
characters?

Anyhow, it seems to be unnecessary.  As far as I know, modulo bidi,
the only relevant charsets that aren't available now for Emacs are
GB18030, GBK and BIG5-HKSCS.  GBK currently seems to be a non-starter
because of a lack of internal charset space.  [The simple scheme for
extending it appears not to be politically correct.]  The other two I
don't know about.

If necessary, you can produce extra 8-bit encodings in a few minutes,
given a Unicode translation table.