Re: An idea: controlling the order of execution of elisp hook functions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: An idea: controlling the order of execution of elisp hook functions
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 02:56:18 -0700 (MST)

    APPEND will only do what I had in mind if the hook you want to be
    after is already in the current list of hooks.  It will not work if
    that hook is added later.

Yes that will work, because the other hook will be added at the
beginning.

    Imagine the situation when foo-hook wants to be after bar-hook but
    before baz-hook.  You cannot do this with APPEND, unless the order of
    adding the hooks is known in advance.

That's true, but at present we don't need to do anything that complex.
APPEND can only handle second-degree ordering constraints, but that's
ok, since the constraint we actually need to handle is second-degree.

I checked in the fix in font-lock.el, so as far as I know this
problem is now solved.