Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: X performance suffers under emacs 21.1.1
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:16:18 -0700 (MST)

    After 60 C-l presses:
    - 21260K was recovered from XF86_S3,

Those must be the images that were not used recently.

    - leaving 26236K more to get back downto ...

Those must be the images that were used recently,
so clear_image_cache retained them.

You might now want to try tuning the parameters that control
how soon images are discarded from the cache.

Here's another thing I'd like you to try.
Put a breakpoint on this line in xdisp.c (line 8809 in my sources)

      /* Recompute # windows showing selected buffer.  This will be
         incremented each time such a window is displayed.  */
      buffer_shared = 0;

and see how often it gets executed during the activity that you're
doing.  I would like to know the answer.