Re: impossible to visit file: Content-Transfer-Encoding problem

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: impossible to visit file: Content-Transfer-Encoding problem
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:16:36 -0700 (MST)

    Using the command `C-x C-f' (find-file), I found it impossible to visit
    a file called "foo.el" whose contents consist of only the line:

    The error message is:

    insert-file-contents: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

It doesn't happen when I try it.

    When I place  -*- emacs-lisp -*-
    on the first and only line in "foo", I am able to load the file, but
    receive an error message that says

    File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument integer-or-marker-p nil)

That did happen for me, so I fixed it.  The change is in
set-auto-mode in files.el.