Re: GNU TLS lisp bindings

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: GNU TLS lisp bindings
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 06:51:10 -0500

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

>> We don't want to try to design Emacs to be able to communicate with
>> general C packages.  They have to be written for Emacs, and we want it
>> to be that way, because that makes the GPL situation as clear cut as
>> possible.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that.  Emacs already links with many
> libraries that have not been written for Emacs (libX for starters, and
> the W32 DLLs after that).

Well, I'm not sure about libX, but the ms-windows DLLs would surely fall
under the standard-system-library exception in the GPL, right?

I think the main danger that Richard sees is someone has a really cool but
incredibly proprietary (non system) library, but they could get around the
GPL by using the generic FFI interface and making that lisp interface 'free
enough' to work with emacs.

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam