Re: UTF-8 locale

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: UTF-8 locale
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:52:20 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Recent changes in mule-cmds.el automatically turn on the UTF-8 locale
>     when $LANG says so.
>
> For which values of LANG does Emacs use UTF-8?

Those which match the regexp ".*utf\\(-?8\\)\\>".

> Also, what exactly does Emacs do to use it?

It sets the language environment to "utf-8", and sets the default and
preferred coding systems to utf-8.  It also sets the default input
method.

> Since Emacs (mostly) doesn't use locales for its own work,
> I'm not sure just what "turn on the UTF-8 locale" refers to.

The values of LANG/LC_ALL are used to set the language environment and
the locale-coding-system (the latter is used on X for decoding X keysyms,
which is important when the keyboard sends non-ASCII keysyms, like with
dead keys).  That is what I meant by ``turning on the UTF-8 locale'';
sorry for the vague wording.