Re: emacs internals trivia

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs internals trivia
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:58:46 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Scott Lanning wrote:

> So the question: am I right about the backward
> compatibility, or did I overlook something?

Yes and no.  Richard Stallman explained the reason for this a few
weeks ago, you should be able to find that discussion in the archives
of this list.

> Also, what does 'Q' stand for in Qnil (et al)?

AFAIK, it stands for the ' character, a.k.a. `quote'; thus the `Q'.
The quote is used in Lisp to indicate a literal symbol (as opposed
to a variable name), but C doesn't allow ' in identifiers.