Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: 19 Dec 2001 20:58:37 +0100

> > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:59:50 -0700 (MST)
> >
> > +       while (l && DOWNCASE (*s1++) == DOWNCASE (*s2++))

> Is this the proper way of comparing unibyte characters
> case-insensitively?  That is, are the tables used by DOWNCASE set up
> for unibyte characters as well?

It has to use tables matching file_name_coding_system, I guess. Or use
some broken table that only downcases usascii-characters.

> Come to think about this, what does completion_ignore_case have to do
> with comparing file names?  I think it's not relevant, so I think we
> should remove the case-insensitive branch.

It makes some sense when using a case-insensitive file system. And I
think it's enabled by default on w*ndows. When talking about w*ndows
and non-ascii-filenames, I have no idea how w*ndows applies
case-insensitivity to non-ascii characters, but in that case one
probably wants file name completion to behave the same way.

Simply removing that feature will confuse, and perhaps annoy, some
users.

/Niels