Re: loading functions from a shared library

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: loading functions from a shared library
Date: 19 Dec 2001 22:00:37 +0000

 > One of the unfortunate things about XEmacs maintenance is that they
 > have not kept careful track of who wrote what.

Indeed.  There have also been false statements about what is assigned,
even where the authorship is reasonably clear.

 > It could be that the people who wrote those file signed FSF legal
 > papers for this code.

For what it's worth, the basic code I got a couple of years ago was OK
(ex Bill Perry) but I don't know what's happened to it since.  That
code would be easy enough to write from scratch anyway, but is
basically doing the job libtool abstracts.  (I dare say libtool didn't
at the time Bill started.)

 > The only way to find out if to talk with people who maintained the
 > code and try to form a complete list of contributers to these
 > files.

I've sometimes been able to get convincing info out of the XEmacs CVS
logs in the past, but often not.