Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:29:42 -0800 (PST)

> From: Dave Love <address@hidden>
> Date: 19 Dec 2001 22:11:55 +0000

>  > elisp currently has no direct access to
>  > the output of the API function nl_langinfo(CODESET)....
>
> I've implemented it, but it's not installed, partly _because_ people
> may not end up with the coding they expect.  I haven't yet tried to
> check compatibility properly.

I think it's reasonable to use this kind of approach, but I suggest
deferring it for a major release, not a bugfix release, as it will
take some time to check compatibility.

> I documented other cases from glibc in the code.  Apparently they
> aren't all consistent with the source that eggert originally used.

I believe I used Solaris 7; could have been an earlier version.

> From: Dave Love <address@hidden>
> Date: 19 Dec 2001 22:16:15 +0000

>  > this was disabled previously because stock Emacs 21.1 lacked some
>  > user-level features which are required for a decent support of
>  > UTF-8 locales.
>
> It lacked _any_ built-in support for utf-8 at the time the locale work
> was done.  That's why eggert special-cased it, according to the
> commentary and what I recall in mail.

Yes, that's correct.

> I didn't hear a good reason for maintaining the exclusion in 21.1.

Sorry, I had forgotten about the issue until now, or I would have
suggested removing the exclusion earlier.