Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode
Date: 20 Dec 2001 15:12:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> >
> > address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> >
> > > Currently, view-mode only binds DEL to scroll backwards.
> > > This is probably ok for ttys, but it doesn't work under X
> > > (at least not in my setup).
> >
> > Did you bind (kbd "<backspace>")?  Don't do that.  function-key-map
> > says to generate DEL when the user hits <backspace>.
> >
> > Try "emacs -q -no-site-file" then C-h c <backspace>.  For me, this
> > reports "DEL runs the command backward-delete-char-untabify" or so.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> Kai is right: the default setup should DTRT, including in view-mode.

Indeed!  I had a (global-set-key [backspace] ...) in my .emacs
Removing that solved the problem.  Thanks!

> Kim, I think you have some messup, either with DEL vs Delete vs Backspace,
> or with normal-erase-is-backspace issue.  Please look into this; the manual
> has a special section "DEL does not delete" which might help you figure
> this out.

Actually, it doesn't suggest that the reason things doesn't work is
because I have bound [backspace] in global-map -- and as a side-effect
emacs removed the mapping to DEL in function-key-map (breaking all
mode-specific keymaps which only binds DEL).

Maybe global-set-key / define-key could be modified so that
binding [backspace] (or whatever maps to DEL in function-key-map)
actually changed the binding for DEL instead?