Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:56:01 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Maybe global-set-key / define-key could be modified so that
> binding [backspace] (or whatever maps to DEL in function-key-map)
> actually changed the binding for DEL instead?

I'm not sure this is a good idea.  What about people who do the
following?

(global-unset-key (kbd "<f5>"))
(define-key function-key-map (kbd "<f5>") (kbd "DEL"))
(global-set-key (kbd "<backspace>") 'forward-char)

Not that it makes any sense, but I guess you get the idea.

Lars has said before that Gnus gives you all the possibility you
could possibly want to shoot yourself in the foot, and why should
Emacs be any worse? :-)

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)