Re: [gnu.emacs.help] display margins

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [gnu.emacs.help] display margins
Date: 21 Dec 2001 17:23:09 +0000

 > You can count this as a request for enhancement of the
 > documentation. :-)

Whatever the documentation problems, there is a definite problem with
the implementation which may make it moot.

The margins aren't useful for typical applications with the current
API, as you found.  That seems basically to be dictated by the
redisplay code, which must display glyph contents either inline or in
one margin as far as I remember.  I suspect marginal stuff would best
be done from a display list keyed by markers, but I don't know how
that would fit into the redisplay and whether there are any
applications for which you really want the current API.

[I looked at porting an IDE thingy, written for XEmacs, which uses
icons in the margins.]