Re: Merging leim

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging leim
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:53:58 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?=)
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:56:37 +0100
>
>    From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
>    Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:22:39 +0200
>
>    > I did that.  The size of the standard tarball is now 27.7MB.  (Btw,
>    > does anyone know what is the size of the XEmacs ``sumo'' tarball?)
>
> 10469429 xemacs-21.5.3.tar.gz
>  4401838 xemacs-mule-sumo-2001-04-08.tar.gz
> 17976463 xemacs-sumo-2001-04-08.tar.gz

Is that with or without Leim?  If the latter, I wonder how come they
are so much smaller (6MB) than we are.  They do have ELisp manual
bundled, I believe, and Calc alone, even if it is not part of sumo,
cannot explain such a large difference.

>    > Just a thought: perhaps it's a good idea to remove the *.elc files
>    > from the distribution, and change the build procedure to generate
>    > them.  After all, we already do that for Leim.
>
> So we will force bootstrap?

You don't need a full bootstrap to byte-compile all the Lisp files.
We just need to figure out the right order of byte-compilation, and
then augment the Makefile with the necessary commands.

I'm doing the equivalent of that for quite some time, whenever I
resync with the CVS.  I don't think I did "make bootstrap" more than
once or twice.