Re: signalling errors in redisplay

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: signalling errors in redisplay
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:26:29 -0700 (MST)

     > I implemented the feature whereby an error during redisplay
     > inhibits further redisplay of that buffer until it changes again
     > (or until C-l).

    I assume that won't help with the case I reported, since the error was
    in mode line display.

It ought to help with such bugs as far as I know.  Mode line display
is inhibited just like display of the buffer contents.

                           Burying the buffer would typically solve that
    problem.

    Has the original bug been fixed now?

I don't know--I don't remember thinking of this in terms of any
specific original bug.  Rather, I've seen a series of bugs that cause
errors during redisplay which then repeat, and that's why I decided to
make Emacs more defensive when such a bug happens.