Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal: Bind backspace and delete like DEL in view-mode
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:57:17 -0700 (MST)

    > (define-key function-key-map (kbd "<backspace>") nil)
    > (define-key function-key-map (kbd "DEL") (kbd "<backspace>"))
    >
    > and then bind (kbd "<backspace>") rather than (kbd "DEL") in all mode
    > maps.  What do people think about this?

Under X, the keys actually generated are backspace and delete; DEL
currently appears only as a result of translating them.  So the effect
of this change would be to have constant bindings for backspace and
delete, the same on all keyboards.

The change would effectively eliminate the feature, which we worked so
hard to develop, of adapting Emacs behavior to the specific keyboard.
That would be a big step backwards--no thanks.

I don't want to make any major change in this part of Emacs.  We chose
the current design for good reasons which are just as valid today as
they were six months ago.  Now what we should do is make small changes
if necessary to smooth over any rough parts of the present design.