Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: df is called even if dired-free-space-program is nil ...
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 08:54:30 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Maybe, but "total" is not really clear in this context either.
> Total of what?

I agree that "total" is not very different, but it has the advantage
of coming straight from `ls's mouth, so users are supposed to be used
to see it and know what it means.

I guess `ls' prints "total" to mean the total of all sizes, as if it
were a summary below a list (except that it is at the top of the list
in this case).

We could perhaps come up with a different, more expressive header
line, like this, for example:

      89598 KBytes in 342 files, 3.45 GBytes free

but the disadvantage of that is that we'd have to compute the number
of files, whereas the "total" line is simply output by `ls'.