Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 11:08:19 +0900 (JST)

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:
>>  I think the decision to leave it disabled in v21.1 was correct,
>>  since the application code, written by Dave, to make that support
>>  reasonably complete was only recently added to the CVS tree.

> I don't know what that means.  The trivial utf-8 language environment
> I offered could easily have been installed to fix the bug of not
> honouring the locale.  The only way I've significantly improved the
> support of utf-8 encoding recently is by additions to characters.el
> and providing experimental level 2 support for some scripts.  I don't
> think that's too important.

I've just read the code added by Dave (sorry for not doing
that earliear).  It seems that it doesn't have a major
problem, but I found one problem related to handling unibyte
case.

If unify-8859-on-decoding-mode is on, for instance, in
latin-2 lang. env., 8859-2 characters files are decoded into
latin-iso8859-1 and mule-unicode-0100-24ff.  But, C-q XXX
still inserts latin-iso8859-2 characters.

And, when we paste mule-unicode-0100-24ff characters into
unibyte buffer, or paste unibyte string into a multibyte
buffer, they are not correctly converted.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden