Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?
Date: 26 Dec 2001 10:42:33 -0500

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?"
> * Sent on Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:34:50 +0100
> * Honorable "Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> >     I'll have a look.  One must move the settings of hints before the
> > window is
> >     mapped, since some window managers don't check positions and size after
> >     mapping (twm, kde1, ...).
> > I don't follow the reasoning here--could you explain?  Why isn't it
> > enough just to figure out the proper sizes and put them on
> > initial-frame-alist?  Sam Steinberg's message seems to suggest that it
> > is.

My name is Steingold.
Who is Steinberg who you keep confusing me with?

> First, let me say I was (partly) wrong here.  Emacs does indeed set
> hints before mapping the window.  It also sets hints after mapping (in
> the toolkit version at least), that confused me.
>
> Sam wanted this:
>

> (/ (- (display-pixel-height)                        ; got this
>       (title-bar-pixel-height)                      ; WM-specific
>       (* (menu-bar-pixel-height)                    ; ??
>          (frame-parameter ?? 'menu-bar-lines))
>       (* (tool-bar-pixel-height)                    ; ??
>          (frame-parameter ?? 'tool-bar-lines)))
>    (font--pixel-height (frame-parameter ?? 'font))) ; ??
>
> The problem is the "(title-bar-pixel-height)".  There is just no way
> in X (I like X, but in this case it sucks) to find out this before
> mapping the window.

I know - that's what I meant when I wrote "WM-specific".
That's okay - I can count the decoration width + title bar as, say, one
(or two) lines of text.

> Also, note that menu-bar-lines in the toolkit version does not mean
> what it says.  It really only means on or off.

I know - but what if there are too many menu items to fit into a single
line?

At any rate, making `tool-bar-pixel-height', `menu-bar-pixel-height'
and `font-pixel-height' available would be nice.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Keep Jerusalem united! <http://www.onejerusalem.org/Petition.asp>