Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Policy on updating info/ directory?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:33:27 -0500

The purpose of the info directory in the tar file is to contain the
Info files.  They should *all* be provided there, so that in the
normal case (building a release tar file) it is not necessary to run
makeinfo.

The makefile should have commands to run makeinfo, in case the user
edits the Texinfo source files.  But because the tar file will contain
up-to-date Info files, these commands won't run when you build the
release.

I don't think it matters greatly how often we update them in CVS.
Maybe it is ok if the directory does not exist in CVS.
Or we could keep the directory in CVS as a convenience for some users.

    We have COPYING in this directory, which is GNU GPL version 2. But files (I
    have not checked if all or only some of them) from this directory are under
    GNU FDL, like emacs*. I think we should fix this immediately.

This is no disaster, but it is correct to delete the COPYING file
so please do.