address@hidden: Re: [Xpert]Using character sets without a locale]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Re: [Xpert]Using character sets without a locale]
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:42:56 -0700 (MST)

This message has major implications for the issue of
internationalizing menus.  It seems we might be able to do this now
in many cases by encoding in utf-8.

When Emacs converts to a representation that is mostly Unicode but
with some extensions (for instance, to avoid Han unification), it
seems we will need to convert the other characters to Unicode somehow
in order to display them in menus.