Re: header line in info does not show node name

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: header line in info does not show node name
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:40:57 +0000 (UTC)

Kai wrote:

   I know that the current node name in Info is displayed in the
   mode-line.  Nevertheless, I always keep looking in the header line
   rather than the mode-line.

This occurs when the value of `Info-use-header-line' is t, which is
the default.  At the same time, you cannot readily copy the header line.

In my .emacs, I set the value of `Info-use-header-line' to nil:

    ;; Do not put the beginning-of-node links in an emacs header-line,
    ;; since they cannot be copied readily when editing.
    (setq Info-use-header-line nil)

In plain text messages to people who use Emacs, I refer to Info nodes
by copying the header line into an message, as in:

    You can read this in Info; see:

        File: texinfo,  Node: Updating Commands

It might be worth someone looking into the way the default Info header
line is written.  It is nice looking as is, but it would be more
helpful if it contained the node name and if a person could copy it.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com