Re: header line in info does not show node name

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: header line in info does not show node name
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:20:42 +0200 (IST)

On 30 Dec 2001, Miles Bader wrote:

> Basically, the node-name is _removed_ from the header-line because
> otherwise many header-lines are too long (because of long node-names),
> and would overflow if it were there.  Since the node's name is already
> in the mode-line, it was decided that removing the it from the
> header-line was the least bad way to make things fit.

Right.  I'd like to add, in case it wasn't clear from Miles's
description, that too-long header lines are _bad_ because that makes
the last links on that line (Prev and Up) disappear from sight, and
thus deprives users of the ability to click on those parts of the
header line to follow the links.  So we are trading redundant
information (the node name) for non-redundant one.

> I personally would like the node-name in the header-line too, but
> I'm not sure how to make things work.

Same here.  If someone has ideas how to eat this cake and have it,
too, please speak up.