Re: emacs commands / emacs windows / coordination

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: emacs commands / emacs windows / coordination
Date: 31 Dec 2001 12:17:53 +0900

that has been posted to comp.emacs as well.

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> Lisp code that wants not to disrupt user's window configuration should use
> save-window-excursion.

`save-window-excursion' works better for situations where there's a
recursive edit, but commands like the vc checkin &c don't use a
recursive edit (and they shouldn't), and so can't use that.

I've seen variuos discussions about ways to make `temporarily'
popped-up windows less damaging (e.g., Stefan posted some ideas a short
while back), but nothing that really seems to solve the problem.

I think Joachim's idea -- to pop up windows by splitting the current
window, so that deleting it restores the old state -- is interesting,
at least for those users that tend to use complicated window
structures in a frame.

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo