Re: emacs commands / emacs windows / coordination

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs commands / emacs windows / coordination
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 01:18:20 -0700 (MST)

The general idea that Emacs should "restore the configuration" after
some "temporary activity" that displays a special buffer suffers from
the same basic problem.  People often switch buffers and change their
window configuration and then return to the "temporary activity".
When they do this, "restoring the previous configuration" seems
wrong and annoying.

I concluded that the idea is basically impossible in practice,
desirable as it might seem in theory.  So I have stopped considering
such plans, and I would suggest others not spend time on them either.