Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale
Date: 01 Jan 2002 17:40:05 +0000

 > Another example for why using "nl_langinfo(CODESET)" or "locale
 > charmap" is far better than looking at the environment variables
 > with obscure rules:

On the contrary, as I tried to explain.  In particular, I added
Latin-9 support to Emacs long ago, and Latin-9 v. Latin-1 is just the
sort of thing I was concerned about.  Anyhow, I'm surprised any system
has to change today and doubt it would be a good idea to change things
under users' feet.  Presumably they've already been using @euro or
whatever.

Emacs needs those `obscure rules', whether or not it can use
nl_langinfo.  If that returns something meaning ASCII, we probably
want to look for a sensible language environment using the current
code.

 > The mapping between locale names and encodings should really
 > be left to where it belongs, namely the C library.

If it changes there, Emacs users could be messed up.  Apart from the
effect on using existing data, they may be surprised when creating new
files and they'd probably find themselves using the wrong input
method.