Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale
Date: 01 Jan 2002 20:15:05 +0000

 > It seems that it doesn't have a major problem,

I hope not, because I've basically used your customization hooks or
similar ones and done the sort of things you'd talked about at some
time!

 > but I found one problem related to handling unibyte case.

I didn't expect it to do anything sensible with unibyte, but if
there's an easy to improve it, that would be fine.

 > If unify-8859-on-decoding-mode is on, for instance, in
 > latin-2 lang. env., 8859-2 characters files are decoded into
 > latin-iso8859-1 and mule-unicode-0100-24ff.  But, C-q XXX
 > still inserts latin-iso8859-2 characters.

Yes.  I'm not sure that should change, but the relevant primitives
could now use `translation-table-for-input'.  It wasn't the sort of
thing I could control in user-level customization anyway, without
kludging it with a post-command hook.

 > And, when we paste mule-unicode-0100-24ff characters into
 > unibyte buffer, or paste unibyte string into a multibyte
 > buffer, they are not correctly converted.

What would be correct?  Is general Unicode text any different to, say,
JISX-based Japanese in that respect?