:slant and :weight (was: Re: address@hidden: customize-face: [State]/"Sh

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: :slant and :weight (was: Re: address@hidden: customize-face: [State]/"Show all display specs" sometimes fails.])
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:08:02 +0100

ShengHuo ZHU <address@hidden> writes:

>> Thanks.  My eyes passed quickly over the :italic and :bold
>> without triggering any recollection that they were obsolete.
>>
>> I will install your change.  Meanwhile, I think we should change any
>> such the font definitions too, so that they use :weight and :slant
>> rather than :bold and :italic.  I will change them except in GNUS.
>> Shenghuo, would you please change them in Gnus?
>
> Done. But could someone tell me whether this change is compatible
> with XEmacs 20+ and Emacs 20?

It will not be compatible with either Emacs 20 or XEmacs (any version,
as far as I know).  I suggest we revert to the old form in Gnus for
now, and rely on the backward compaitibility code.  It seem cleaner
than making conditional code for the faces in Gnus proper.

I have CC'ed to xemacs-beta.  Anyone there know if/when XEmacs will
support the new face attributes (:slant and :weight)?