Re: menubar segfault

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: menubar segfault
Date: 05 Jan 2002 15:30:04 +0000

Scott Lanning <address@hidden> writes:

>     If I first select a menubar item so that a
> menu appears, then (how to explain this...?) swirl the
> mouse around vigorously such that different menus will
> pop up and different items in those menus are selected,
> after some random time (sorry I couldn't isolate yet exactly
> what sequence of events triggers it) it will segfault.

Yes, the menubar callbacks are run asynchronously, so you need to be
very careful about altering frame parameters and accessing Lisp
variables to avoid clearing data from under the redisplay or garbage
collection code. I thought from previous experience that this was only
a problem with Fx_show_tip, but obviously Fx_hide_tip needs care too.

We probably need to push an event onto the keyboard buffer instead of
calling Fx_hide_tip directly. But I think the following help event
that is pushed should result in Fx_hide_tip being called, so perhaps
that call to Fx_hide_tip needs to be moved to where the keyboard
event that is already being pushed is handled.

--
Jason Rumney