Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal: Remap interactive commands via keymaps
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:05:06 -0700 (MST)

    If I enter `M-x kill-line', emacs even tells me that I can run
    kill-line with C-k, but now you tell me that I should be aware that
    those two ways to run kill-line interactively are not identical.

Don't think of them as "two ways to run kill-line".  If the keymap
remaps kill-line to foo-line, then C-k is not a way to run kill-line
any more.

If the keymap remaps kill-line to foo-line, then help messages
should say that C-k runs foo-line, not that it runs kill-line.

    No, according to you and Jason, I (and any novice user like me) have
    to explicitly know that although I enabled whizzy-mode, I need to
    enter M-x whizzy-lisp-complete-symbol to get the behaviour I want.

Yes.  In Lisp Interaction mode, when you type C-h c M-TAB, you will
see it runs whizzy-lisp-complete-symbol.  So it would be natural
to use the same name in M-x.